[CentOS] Why rush to Upgrade? (was: Centos 6 Update?)

Mon Apr 4 23:58:29 UTC 2011
Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>

On 04/04/2011 06:51 PM, Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       I've seen the posts over and over again about "when is 6 going to
> be out?" I appreciate the time the developers put in to make cent os
> available.
>       My main question about when is 6 going to be out is, does it
> really matter?  5.5 works just fine, so if it's not broke, why fix it?
> Other than being able to say" you have the latest and greatest version,
> are you really gaining anything? Is your machine going to suddenly stop
> working if you don't get ver. 6 on your machine right now? I don't think
> so.
>      I'm a small business owner, and I don't have a large IT team to
> handle software deployments. I have to do it all myself. I'm not looking
> forward to another OS upgrade, and all the backing up beforehand that
> goes with it. I just don't see what all the fuse is over.
>
> Jim

  A similar, anecdotal story.

  I wanted to move to Xen 4.0 and RHCS 3 and decided to jump up to
Fedora while waiting for CentOS 6. I spent a lot of time getting this
working, and finally did. Against my own best advice, I even put a
couple internal clusters into production. I stayed one release back from
Fedora's bleeding edge, hoping to stay more secure.

  And it was a miserable failure.

  So now I've gone back to CentOS 5.5, and Xen 3 / RHCS 2 is very, very
stable. My cluster *just works*.

  There is a reason it's called the "bleeding edge". It takes time to
get things right, and CentOS 5.5 is stable. You won't get cut staying
with it.

  Besides, I can't think of any X.0 release that was very stable,
anyway. If the CentOS devs are working to sort out what Red Hat has
changed, then when they get it, they will be largely "there" for 6.1,
which is already in beta. They'll likely get CentOS 6.1 out relatively
fast, and I expect it will be much more stable that 6.0 on either RH or
CentOS.

  So all of this is a +1 to Jim's comments.

"You want it done right, or do you want it done right now?"

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com