[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Fri Apr 8 18:10:28 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/8/2011 8:15 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> The reason I re-formatted it was that fdisk said
>>> there was no valid partition table after dd-ing bootdisk.img onto
>>> /dev/sdb .
>>
>> I thought small usb devices generally didn't have a partition table and
>> just have one filesystem on the raw device.  But I don't have a lot of
>> experience with them.  In any case the img file should have whatever
> needs to be
>> there.
> <snip>
> Nope, they do. As I mentioned in my build of the USB key install, I have
> two partitions on the key, one that's 10M, and is FAT formatted, and the
> rest of the 8G that's ext2.

USB disks _can_ have partitions (obviously, since you can stick about
any drive into a usb adapter), but small ones typically don't and you
don't need them to boot.  The bootdisk.img layout appears to be a vfat
on the raw disk (no partitioning) with syslinux configure to make it boot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com