[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Fri Apr 8 18:22:47 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> USB disks _can_ have partitions (obviously, since you can stick about
> any drive into a usb adapter), but small ones typically don't and you
> don't need them to boot.  The bootdisk.img layout appears to be a vfat
> on the raw disk (no partitioning) with syslinux configure to make it boot.

The instructions in <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-
US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/
certainly advise making a partition /dev/sdb1
with partition type b and running mkdosfs on it.

I didn't actually run syslinux after dd-ing;
the CentOS instructions don't say you should.
But I'll try it later, though I now have a reliable if lengthy way
of installing CentOS on a machine without a CD drive,
by following the instructions in the redhat document above
(with one slight change I mentioned earlier).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net