[CentOS] new kernel = no working sound

Sun Apr 10 19:52:13 UTC 2011
Iulian L Dragomir <iulianld at gmail.com>

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:

> I found that there was another module loading before the snd-hda-intel
> thus I added index=0 to the one I needed and index=1 to the other module
> that seemed to get in the way.
> the clue was looking under System>Administration>Sound Card Detection and
> seeing the  Audio configuration dialog > Settings tab - it showed my desired
> sound card as number 1 rather than 0 with another item as number 0 (one I
> did not even know was on the computer).
> Took me a recompiled kernel and hours of wasted time. Old kernels all worked
> fine - thus I thought it was a kernel patch problem - removed all the
> related patches and still no joy.
> I do not know what they are doing to the kernel but over time the loading of
> modules, order of disk detection etc is becoming much more of an issue.
> HTH YMMV

Thank you for your explanations and for the suggestions.

Unfortunately i only have a single device in Sound Card Detection >
Audio configuration dialog > Settings tab so the snd-hda-intel is
number 0.

Patching and recompiling the kernel is over my level of expertise.

For the moment i will continue to use
kernel#2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.centos.plus at least the next kernel update
will appear.

Elrepo and kmod-alsa provided by them is the next thing on my "to do"
list (the clue is coming from oracle compatible kernel .. in the
release notes they mention that they updated alsa-hda drivers) .  . If
the problem is solved by this i well see in short time.