[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Tue Apr 12 12:53:14 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:

> Steve,
> I'm managing machines with 30TB of storage for more then two years. And with
> good reporting and reaction we have never had to run fsck.
>
> However I'm sure that if you have to run fsck on so big file systems, it will
> be fater to rebuild the array from other storage then waiting for a few weeks
> to finish.
>
> On machines like that I use CentOS but I'm pratitioning them before the
> install with a rescue live cd that I have created for me.
>
> Marian

As matter of interest, what hardware do you use? i.e. what CPU's, size
of RAM and RAID cards do you use on this size system?

Everyone always recommends to use smaller RAID arrays than one big fat
one. So, I'm interested to know what you use, and how effective it
works. i.e. if that 30TB was actively used by many hosts how does it
cope? Or is it just archival storage?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers