[CentOS] SNMP monitoring options

Wed Apr 13 19:28:58 UTC 2011
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu>

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:39:17AM -0700, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23:19AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
> >>
> >> We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
> >> (community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at
> >> was
> >> zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and
> >> liking
> >> of nagios.
> >
> > So, if I already have a working nagios that I like, are there any
> > advantages to Opsview community?  I only have about 100 services I
> > monitor, and I doubt it'd grow a huge amount in the near future.
>
> Well, Nagios is more for outage/alerts were I was looking more for
> trending.
>
> Thats why I was originally using Cacti w/Nagios plugin.

I haven't been following this thread, so I may be on the wrong track,
but have you checked out something called  'rrdtool'  and its pal 'mrtg'?

See:          http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/

At least their intention is to help you reveal trends in various
lengths of time and almost any metric you come up with.  I believe
some people have already worked out using it with snmp, at least
for some things.

////jerry