[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Thu Apr 14 15:49:27 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:20:23 AM Les Mikesell wrote:
> Same here, CentOS5 and ext3.  Rare and random across identical hardware.
>   So far I've blamed the hardware.

I don't have that luxury.  This is one VM on a VMware ESX 3.5U5 host, and the storage is EMC Clariion fibre-channel, with the VMware VMFS3 in between.  Same storage RAID groups serve other VMs that haven't shown the problem.  Happened regardless of the ESX host on which the guest was running; I even svmotioned the vmx/vmdk over to a different RAID group, and after roughly two weeks it did it again.

I haven't had the issue since the 4.9 update, and transitioning from the all-in-one vmware-tools package to the OSP stuff at packages.vmware.com (did that for a different reason, that of the 'can't reboot/restart vmxnet if IPv6 enabled' issue on ESX 3.5).

Only the one VM guest had the problem; several C4 VM's, too.  This one has the Scalix mailstore on it.  Reboot into single user, disable the journal, fsck, re-enable the journal, things are ok.  Well, the last time it happened I didn't disable the journal before the fsck/reboot, but didn't suffer any data loss even then (journal replay in the 'fs went read-only journal stopped' case isn't something you want to have happen in the general case).