[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Thu Apr 14 15:41:07 UTC 2011
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 04:54:34 PM Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:37:15 AM Christopher Chan wrote:
> > I used XFS extensively when I was running mail server farms for
> > the mail queue filesystem and I only remember one or two incidents when
> > the filesystem was marked read-only for no reason (seemingly - never had
> > the time to find out why) but a reboot fixed those.
>
> I've had that happen, recently, with ext3 on CentOS 4.

The default behaviour for ext3 on CentOS-5 is to remount read-only, as a
safety measure, when something goes wrong beneath it (see mount option
"errors" in man mount). The root cause can be any of a long list of hardware
or software (kernel) problems (typically not ext3's fault though).

/Peter