[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Sat Apr 16 17:17:52 UTC 2011
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, April 15, 2011 8:56 PM -0600 Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:
>
>> Check out Mulberry.  <http://mulberrymail.com/>
>
> The main drawback to Mulberry is that it doesn't display images, and its
> HTML rendering is primitive. But if you're like me and deal primarily in
> text, and want to only open images and attachments explicitly (good way to
> avoid infections), Mulberry works great.

I would actually consider the image aspect an advantage rather than
disadvantage, but YMMV.  Most images in email seem to related to signatures,
auto-appended organization, or spam-related (what little slips through
my filters).  If it's actually an image of interest, I can right-click
and select to view or extract it, the former of which uses the OS's
default image viewer (eog for CentOS, iirc).

It also avoids the issue of web-bugs put into html email.

Yes, the html rendering is primitive, but I don't usually notice as
I have mulberry configured to show the text part of multipart mail,
which works just fine in most cases.  A few html-only newsletters I
get are the only things that are so rendered, and they always have
links to online versions.

> It's particulary wonderful if you have a huge hierarchy of folders.

Agreed, along with the rest of the observations.

Devin
--
The greatest productive force is human selfishness.
							- Robert Heinlein