[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Mon Apr 18 01:22:05 UTC 2011
Bob Hepple <bhepple at promptu.com>

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:07:39 -0700
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else.

A hearty vote for sylpheed from me - http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/ ...
or anything else that uses MH-style mailboxes instead of the monolithic
mbox ones that TB and similar programs use. To me, that's the biggest
scaling issue - TB puts all your mails in one huge file per topic ie
INBOX SENT TRASH CENTOS etc - at least, it used to, haven't used it in
_years_.

With MH-style mailboxes, you have one file per message, one directory
per topic. Much more scalable, manageable.

Sylpheed has linux and windows packages available. Solaris, AIX. HP-UX,
Tru64, IRIX, MacOS, *BSD ports are all mentioned as working. It is
lightweight but seems to do everything I need a mailer to do.

Not sure about packages ready-built for Centos although building from
source shouldn't be hard. A quick google found this:
http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el5/sylpheed-3.1.0-1.i386.rpm

FWIW - the compiled version is in the fedora mainstream.

BTW - sylpheed has file import and export filters for mbox and outlook.

Have fun!

Bob

--
Bob Hepple <bhepple at promptu.com>