[CentOS] centosplus kernel not up to date ?

Sat Apr 16 21:21:10 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/16/11 2:25 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:

>> If it is the classic stack of firewire drivers that are required, and
>> there is nothing else needed from the centosplus kernel, a good
>> solution is to get the kABI-tracking firewire modules from ELRepo:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394
>>
>> It provides:
>>
>> dv1394.ko
>> eth1394.ko
>> ieee1394.ko
>> ohci1394.ko
>> pcilynx.ko
>> raw1394.ko
>> sbp2.ko
>> video1394.ko
>>
>> Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
>> distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.
> That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
> my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.
>
> I will try that on monday.

Yum shouldn't have deleted your running kernel in the update.  It should just be
a matter of changing the default to boot in the grub config if you want to run
the old one a while longer.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com