[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:24:49 UTC 2011

On 8/2/11 10:32 PM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 16:41 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> But back to the original problem, why would anyone use ftp in this
>> century when rsync or http(s) are so much easier to manage?
>
> having grown-up on computers before M$ existed, I still find FTP very
> easy, quick and efficient.

Neither rsync nor http have anything to do with M$, they are just well designed
protocols.  Rysnc is specialized for copying files and directory trees, is
normally used over ssh, and doesn't need any extra server-side setup other than
ssh keys if you want it to work without passwords.  Http is very general and the
setup can be as simple or complicated as you want - and it is well understood by
firewalls and proxies.

> Must have a play with rsync though.

If ssh works between systems, it will 'just work'.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com