[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Wed Aug 3 15:41:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/11 10:32 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 16:41 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> But back to the original problem, why would anyone use ftp in this
>>> century when rsync or http(s) are so much easier to manage?
>>
>> having grown-up on computers before M$ existed, I still find FTP very
>> easy, quick and efficient.
>
> Neither rsync nor http have anything to do with M$, they are just well designed
> protocols.  Rysnc is specialized for copying files and directory trees, is
> normally used over ssh, and doesn't need any extra server-side setup other than
> ssh keys if you want it to work without passwords.  Http is very general and the
> setup can be as simple or complicated as you want - and it is well understood by
> firewalls and proxies.

Rsync barely works well on Windows, and certainly not without some
sort of Cygwin involved.  It works fine if you have a few files in a
folder, but once you start dealing with directory trees, you run into
many issues with folder redirections, loops, and junction points.

As for not needing extra server-side setup, you're talking about
Windows here, which most definitely *does* need server-side setup for
both ssh and rsync.  It does not "just work" at all.  Once again,
you're talking about Cygwin, which is great but not exactly easy to
deal with nor something standard.

>> Must have a play with rsync though.
>
> If ssh works between systems, it will 'just work'.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-