[CentOS] Cent OS 6 freezing up

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Aug 26 18:31:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Jimmy Bradley wrote:

> From: Jimmy Bradley <bmobile40 at ocellaris.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] Cent OS 6 freezing up
>
>     I've been out of pocket for a while, so don't shoot me, if this has
> already been brought up. I'm having a problem with my desktop freezing
> up, and I'm running Cent OS 6. It seems to happen while I'm running
> firefox. I'm not sure if it's firefox, or the OS that's locking up.
> When it freezes up, nothing will respond, so I'm inclined  to think it's
> the OS that's freezing up. Has anyone else been having this problem?

I've noticed something similar on Centos 5.6 when using
Firefox. I traced it down to the Firefox flashplayer plugin
- something called npviewer.bin

If I upload a picture to www.tinypic.com and then highlight
the text to copy the picture's url, right clicking on the
highlighted text causes Firefox to freeze, and swapping
desktops is very slugish. Killing npviewer.bin unlocks the
system again.

Is this some sort of bug in the flashplugin?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net