[CentOS] CentOS 6 driver support

Mon Aug 1 03:50:35 UTC 2011
Mark Pryor <tlviewer at yahoo.com>

________________________________
From: Nguyen Vu Hung (VNC) <vuhung at vinicorp.com.vn>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:05 PM
Subject: [CentOS] CentOS 6 driver support

Hello all,

This is the laptop I own:
HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition
Spec: Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, VGA ATI
    Radeon HD 6490M

You can also check the spec here:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6t-dv6tqe-Laptop/dp/B00506B7DS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312164145&sr=1-3

I am going to install CentOS 6 to it but I want to make sure that
    which drivers will CentOS  6 support:
Ethernet, Wifi, sound and especially VGA ATI Radeon HD 6490M.

Any help is appreciated.

Nguyen Vu Hung

Before you take the leap and modify the partition layout, you can non-destructively explore linux suitability with a Live ISO. I recommend almost any
live distro with a 2.6.32+ kernel. I personally like puppy 4.31 or higher, or for 64 bit, try the Fat Dog ISO (also from puppy developers).

Once you get that booted up, dump the

lspci
lsusb

or even

lsmod

Then you can get some idea of what drivers are required. If the live ISO's fail to work, then the fun begins and you need to ask yourself
if its worth it to try another permanent version of Linux.

From googling, I see that HP is reluctant to release improved bios for this model. Can you find a bios version higher than F13?

--

Mark