[CentOS] drop manitu.net

Thu Aug 11 02:08:46 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 17:10 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> listadmin,
>
>    Can you PLEASE, PLEASE find *any* other blacklist than manitu? This
> asshole's method was ok a dozen years ago; these days, with hosting sites
> hosting tens or hundreds of thousands of domains, with too many running
> Windows, and so infected and sending out spam. They then send all mail via
> one mailhost, with the result that those of us with *no* spam coming out
> are frequently blocked.
>
>     This ain't the first time for me with this jerk, either. A few years
> ago, Cogeco in Canada was using him, and on and off for *months* I was
> blocked from exchanging email with an old friend... because I was
> mailing from Roadrunner in Chicago (hosting hundreds of thousands of
> households), until my friend dropped Cogeco.
>
>          mark, who is wondering if this will be blocked

No I got it in England, Europe.

Why not run your own mail server ? I use Exim (a Sendmail replacement)
on several servers. I refuse incoming mails where the sender's HELO /
EHLO does not match the sender's IP host name, because that - for me -
eliminates 90% or more of spam and I absolutely detest spam.

Discardable sub-domain names for mailing list subscriptions also helps.
(currently on my third change for this list ... u61)

Having spare domains, control over the DNS and assigning unique email
addresses for different purposes means you can simply bloke a
compromised email address whilst continuing to receive emails from
everyone else.  I've been doing this for about 10 years with great
success.

Spam is a USA invention created by someone called Wallace? about 15?
years ago. It is now a world-wide pest.

No Centos fan should have to depend on other's email services for daily
communications, so do consider operating your own mail server.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,