[CentOS] drop manitu.net

Thu Aug 11 13:09:41 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
>> You don't seem to understand the issue. My hosting provider has
>> literally hundreds of thousands of domains. The email gets funneled for
>> all, I assume, except those paying for co-location, through their
>> heavy-duty mailhost. manitu sees spam coming from that mailhost, and
>> blocks EVERY EMAIL FROM EVERY DOMAIN that goes through it, even though
>> none of the rest of us are running windows or spamming....
>
> Its the same old "one size fits all" syndrome.
>
> What I was suggesting, is can't you have a back-up plan. For example:-
>
> (1) run your own mail server ?
>
> (2) use something like Google which will automatically forward by SMTP
> and allow POP3 collection ?
>
> Obviously I don't know your computer situation. It seems your present
> 'service' is not always reliable, so is there anything we can do to help
> you devise an alternative plan ?

No, you still don't understand.
1. I'm not going to join this list, or any other, from multiple email
accounts
2. I do not want to use my current 'Net provider (that provides access to
my home), because I've relocated too many times, and want one, utterly
stable email address that's under my control. That's why I pay for
hosting. My home 'Net access is through my local phone company. In the US,
you have to pay significantly extra for a business line, which would *not*
block my own mailserver.
3. 5-cent.us is my own domain. I'm paying a hosting provider (somewhere in
the west of the US), because another techie mailing list I'm on
recommended them as being a) reliable, and b) inexpensive.

Finally, you're missing the real issue: not how I can use different email
addresses, or run my own mailserver, but that I was hoping to have a
conversation with the CentOS mailing list admin about using *anyone* else
than manitu.net to block spam to the list. I mentioned the problems I had
a few years back emailing to a friend in Canada through his then-local
'Net provider, because they were also using manitu.net.

The real problem is manitou.net, and their "algorythm". 15 years ago, it
might have been reasonable to track mailhosts, and block all mail coming
from that host. For the last 10 years, at least, it's *wrong*. Even the
best of 'Net providers can't keep up with all the spammers (or don't have
what I would consider reasonable policies in place). With the exception of
a few outlaw sites, mostly, I believe, in eastern Europe or Asia, most
ISPs *try*... but with all the mergers 10 years ago, most ISPs are *huge*.
Roadrunner, that I mentioned, is a US national provider that does cable,
VOIP, and 'Net in *many* cities around the US. I, personally, used them in
Chicago and central Florida. I *think* they're part of Time-Warner. They
are the ISP for millions of people, and tens or hundreds of thousands in
each area, just as my hosting provider, Bluehost, hosts tens (or is it
hundreds?) of *thousands* of domains. Some of those domains are running on
*bleah* Windows (not Linux, as I am), and are clearly infected.

For manitu.net to decide that *everyone* coming from that mailhost,
regardless of the source domain, is incompetence and hostile to the way
things are for years now. They are doing a *very* bad job, and have
companies convinced that since they've been doing it for years, they
should stay with them. I want the CentOS list maintainer to reconsider.

I might also note that months ago - last year? - one or more other folks
on this list had the same problem, for the same reason. It's manitu.net
that's the problem, not my hosting provider.

        mark