[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 01:57:51 UTC 2011

My Ubuntu desktop at home seems to show up to windows boxes on the
home lan and vice-versa, without me having to do anything to configure
it.

Something I've done in the past in small office situations is set up a
DNS server that knows the names of all the local machines and then
proxies off to a real DNS server for anything else.  Works really well
actually and does not have to have a "real" domain to manage.  YOu
just have to make sure all the boxes on the LAN use it as a DNS
server.