[CentOS] Intel SE7210TP1-E giving memory errors

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Mon Dec 5 09:24:59 UTC 2011

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/05/11 12:17 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>> Swapped the memory between DIMM 2A and DIMM 2B - still get fault in
>> row 3, channel 0 - thus did not move with the RAM??
>> Next reboot I'll try swapping 1A and 1B
>>

> often an indication the problem is board/socket related rather than
> memory DIMM.  unless its the other pair you didn't swap.
>

>> Also I have just discovered that both the OS drives sda and sdb have
>> huge number of errors shown on the SMART records
>> - can this relate to the memory errors??
>> - I am just really surprised to have two drives show almost identical
>> number of errors at the same time, yet no apparent data errors -
>> Drives are ATA ST380013AS 74.53 GB
>>
>> Just for safety I swapped /dev/sda with a new slightly larger drive
>> did the sfdisk foo and added it to the md raid drives.
>> This brand new drive immediately shows high raw read er
>>

> hmmm.  no, they shouldn't be remotely related.   unless its something
> else, like a power supply with noisy or out of spec voltage(s).
>
> 80GB 3.5" SATA drives?   aren't those kind of old?   like, ancient ?
> looked up that PN, thats a Baracuda 7200.7 from circa 2003-2005.
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/sata/cuda7200_sata_pm.pdf
>
> those are past their shelf date.

Yes Christmas 2004 - never a problem until one of the md raid sets
dropped out today.
However I put a brand new - never used 120G drive in and it too shows
these errors - something doesn't seem right
Getting too tired to think straight so I'll leave it limping along until
tomorrow
Thanks for thoughts