[CentOS] Netinstall wants to use wlan0

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 13:48:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 01:38:04PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 08:11 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> > Hi, Folks --
> >
> > I'm setting up an Acer Aspire 5250 as a Christmas gift, CentOS 6 netinstall
> > insists on trying to configure wlan0 but I'm using a wired DSL connection,
> > consequently netinstall fails and only offers the option to Retry.
>
> how do you know that ? ( not being pedantic, just want to confirm what
> sign / status you see that confirms its using the wlan0 ?  )
>
> > How can I get it to bypass the wlan0 idea and go straight to eth0...?
>
> the installer will give you a choice as to what network interface you
> want to use, if you are not seeing that its possible the installer does
> not see the second interface at all.

I am trying to remember how this went on my Acer. Firstly, the hardware
switch for the wireless is probably on the front.  It doesn't give any
sign that it's on or off, you move it to one side, then release and try
this a few times.

The light, depending upon the model of card, might only work with
Windows, though I think more recent editions of Fedora and Ubuntu
_might_ show that it works or doesn't. My memory is hazy there.

There should be, possibly in the lower left, an option to configure
network.  It's also possible that the button is offscreen.

My guess, if it's really not giving the option to use the wired
ethernet, is that KB's thought is the case, that for some reason, it's
simply not seeing the wired ethernet card.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I told one lie... I had one drink...
Giles: Yes. And you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon
snake. The words, 'Let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at
this juncture.