[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Dec 28 11:24:27 UTC 2011

On 12/28/2011 06:02 AM, Michael Lampe wrote:
>> nope. its actually quite a major pain to manage..
>>
>> you forgot to mention what you installed, how you did it and what you
>> expected V/s achieved
>
> I have installed all the packages from the two x86_64 DVDs with
> (eventually):
>
> 	yum install --exclude=ovirt\* \*
>
> I'm not using any internet-based repos for now, because of limited
> bandwidth at home.
>
> I haven't touched 6.x before 6.2 and just thought it would be as in 5.x
> (biarch wise).
>
> With 6.2 everything on my X301 semms to be working much better or at
> least as good as in 5.7.
>
> I will slowly, carefully, and thankfully play with your Christmas
> present in the next two weeks. :)
>
> -Michael

Biarch is actually only needed for libraries and support packages.
Running native i386 application on x86_64 does not make much sense
(third-party apps are another thing).

So logic behind biarch is simple. "If your 32-bit app rpm requests
32-bit support package/app it will be installed at the same time as that
package".Or you can manually add/install needed package(s), like several
packages, for Skype (32-bit) for example. But there is no need to waste
useful space for package that will never be used (in case of 64-bit apps).

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...