[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 15:52:47 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday, December 02, 2011 10:38:11 AM Craig White wrote:
> indeed but to continue Les's fairly adept analogy, this is akin to running wires & a PA system to another office so the yelling happens not just in one room but in several rooms.

Uh, no.  With properly configured WINS (both server and on all workstations; for DHCP deployments make sure the DHCP server supports giving out the WINS server address(es)) there is no broadcast name resolution traffic when there is a WINS server and all workstations are configured to use it.  It's more akin to replacing a PA system in an office with speakers in the ceiling with a PBX or key system that allows station to station intercom.

The traffic load is very similar to DNS (at least it is here, where I implemented WINS a number of years ago on CentOS 4 to enable routed networking; the broadcast traffic went way down and the network browser (using the CIFS term there) stability went way up).

> WINS itself is not routed but a workstation or a server is more than capable of announcing itself or participating in WINS activity on many subnets.

This is quite an interesting statement on a number of levels..... as communication across subnets implies routing is in use.