[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 16:06:51 UTC 2011
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Dec 2, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Friday, December 02, 2011 10:38:11 AM Craig White wrote:
>> indeed but to continue Les's fairly adept analogy, this is akin to running wires & a PA system to another office so the yelling happens not just in one room but in several rooms.
>
> Uh, no.  With properly configured WINS (both server and on all workstations; for DHCP deployments make sure the DHCP server supports giving out the WINS server address(es)) there is no broadcast name resolution traffic when there is a WINS server and all workstations are configured to use it.  It's more akin to replacing a PA system in an office with speakers in the ceiling with a PBX or key system that allows station to station intercom.
----
ummm... there are WINS master browser elections on every subnet at least every 15 minutes unless a new computer is introduced or a master browser is unresponsive and thus likely more frequent than that. These elections are by nature done via broadcast.
----

> The traffic load is very similar to DNS (at least it is here, where I implemented WINS a number of years ago on CentOS 4 to enable routed networking; the broadcast traffic went way down and the network browser (using the CIFS term there) stability went way up).
>
>> WINS itself is not routed but a workstation or a server is more than capable of announcing itself or participating in WINS activity on many subnets.
>
> This is quite an interesting statement on a number of levels..... as communication across subnets implies routing is in use.
----
I am going to assume that you don't configure routers to repeat broadcast traffic from one subnet to another subnet...

Thus the only way you can accomplish cross subnet WINS is via individual servers & workstations specifically configured to participate on the remote subnet individually and for that, yes routing is in use.

Craig