[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 18:34:03 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> And we have our DHCP give out IP by MAC addresses, so they're
>>> effectively static.
>>
>> If you've done that, you might as well put them in DNS.  Linux tools
>> just normally make this difficult.   SME server made it handy long ago
>> by combining the user entries into the same screen and building the
>> separate configs under the covers.  Maybe there is something even
>> better now.
>
> Um, no can do: we don't run the DNS here on campus (a US gov't federal
> agency), we have blocks of IPs assigned to us. Within our division, we
> control the horizontal, we control the vertical.... <g>

If you are giving out DHCP addresses, you are almost certainly giving
out DNS server addresses, and you can point that to one or more that
you control (probably on the same box(es) as the dhcp service).  And
that DNS server can answer for your local registered or private domain
names as well as the rest of the world.   And it will work by actually
following network standards instead of relying on ancient proprietary
broadcast schemes.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com