[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 18:45:08 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> If you've done that, you might as well put them in DNS.  Linux tools
<snip>
>> Um, no can do: we don't run the DNS here on campus (a US gov't federal
>> agency), we have blocks of IPs assigned to us. Within our division, we
>> control the horizontal, we control the vertical.... <g>
>
> If you are giving out DHCP addresses, you are almost certainly giving
> out DNS server addresses, and you can point that to one or more that
> you control (probably on the same box(es) as the dhcp service).  And

Les, you're missing the point: we are not *supposed* to be running a DNS
server. There's another division that does that, the same one that assigns
us the blocks of IP addresses. Please don't confuse me with the OP.

       mark