[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 18:50:25 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> <snip>
>>> Um, no can do: we don't run the DNS here on campus (a US gov't federal
>>> agency), we have blocks of IPs assigned to us. Within our division, we
>>> control the horizontal, we control the vertical.... <g>
>>
>> If you are giving out DHCP addresses, you are almost certainly giving
>> out DNS server addresses, and you can point that to one or more that
>> you control (probably on the same box(es) as the dhcp service).  And
>
> Les, you're missing the point: we are not *supposed* to be running a DNS
> server. There's another division that does that, the same one that assigns
> us the blocks of IP addresses. Please don't confuse me with the OP.

I don't even understand what that means. Is there a mandate to do
things wrong?   Would someone fire you if you used windows for your
DHCP service and it was a version that had AD running as a DNS service
too?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com