[CentOS] duqu

Wed Dec 7 12:37:34 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 07:07 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 06, 2011 08:06:55 PM James A. Peltier wrote:

> > A basic qualification to operate a computer would also be nice.  Sad
> > thing is, there is no such thing.

> Microsoft has proposed such... of course, the prerequisites would
> likely include  running the latest Windows....
>
> If you get an 'Internet driver's license' you then have to have a
> licensing authority, and any time you get that sort of thing
> involved.... well, you can imagine how it could pan out.

BUT every country has unlicensed drivers !

It is in the economic interests of every country, world wide, to prevent
computer hacking, invasion of computer systems and the inevitable abuse
of computer facilities.

Even if only some of the sys admins became proficient in basic server
security it would be a de facto improvement.  What is needed is a web
site offering free lessons on how to secure servers. An ideal task for a
willing and knowledge Linux volunteer with help from non-English
speakers translating the information into their language.

Centos is probably the most widely used operating system for servers.
Data centres offer Centos to every Tom, Dick & Harry and even Eva & Ida
too - usually it for VPS. This means Linux newcomers are using it.

My experience is most hacking attacks, mail and web, come from VPSs in
Data Centres - the cheaper the hire cost, the more likely it is used.

Therefore these unknown newcomers to Linux would benefit from a few
basics. At present they have to hunt for the information.

If a basic security web site, internally recognised and endorsed by
governments (and no Ads) existed offering basic security information for
Linux servers, I am reasonably confident many ISPs would point their
server users to it - all flavours of Linux users.

The common good, and how it can be greatly improved, should concern all
of us. The solution is amazingly simple. Propagation of the web site's
existence is harder but with press, government, Usenet, Twitter,
Facebook etc. a vast improvement to the status quo can be achieved for
the benefit of all except the hackers and attackers.

The essential aspect of this suggestion is such a web site must be Linux
non-denominational. Centos fans working with Ubuntu fans working with
other flavours too including Red Hat et al. A genuine community
Enterprise benefiting the entire community.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,