[CentOS] duqu

Wed Dec 7 13:09:22 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 07:37:34 AM Always Learning wrote:
> The essential aspect of this suggestion is such a web site must be Linux
> non-denominational. Centos fans working with Ubuntu fans working with
> other flavours too including Red Hat et al. A genuine community
> Enterprise benefiting the entire community.

I've left this paragraph in; I could have chosen any paragraph, though.

Such tutorials exist; most of the really good ones are not freely available, though.  SANS.org is one place to look, and where you can purchase training in various security things.  Sites like packetstormsecurity.org have lots of files, including whitepapers and such, but finding what you need can be difficult.

I have found that the difficulty with free tutorials, whether it's at howtoforge or elsewhere, is that the author is going to write about the system they are using; and you can't expect otherwise from a free tutorial.  You have to translate to your own setup, and/or you have to do things the standard way.  Well, unless the author has an 'agenda' for a particular way of doing things, and virtually all do, even if they're not aware of it.

That in and of itself is one of the biggest mistakes admins make: they have a 'preferred way' of doing things, but that preferred way may not be the way that is most secure on that particular distribution.