[CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Feb 7 18:07:59 UTC 2011

James Pearson wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> James Pearson wrote:
>>
>>>I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>>boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under
>>> /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>>CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>>equivalent in CentOS 5
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>>
>> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?
>
> I have, but that wasn't the question :-)
>
> Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
> I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
> start up process this happens.

Oh! I thought you were just trying to get sound working. Yeah, as someone
else noted, modprobe.conf, and, as I just looked and found, there's more
in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist, where I see
excerpt:
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias sound-service-*-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-*-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-*-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-12 snd-pcm-oss

install sound-slot-* /sbin/modprobe
snd-card-${MODPROBE_MODULE##sound[_-]slot[_--
]}

install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm && /sbin/modprobe
snd-pcc
m-oss && /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-device && /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss
--- end excerpt ---
right after USB and before NFS.

I don't know if that's read before or after depmod.d/depmod.conf.dist, but
presumably it's used by udev.

        mark