[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

David Hornford dave at qillaq.com
Tue Feb 15 17:11:17 UTC 2011

On 11-02-15 9:39 AM, "Jerry Franz" <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:

>On 02/15/2011 07:59 AM, R - elists wrote:
>> Eero,
>>
>> that is great, as long as you consider and actually donate to CentOS
>> regularly
>>
>> statistically, most people that download or use CentOS, do not donate.
>>

>That, statistically speaking,  could be influenced by the fact the
>monetary donation page has been 'down' for around one and a half years
>(ever since the centos 'ownership fight'). I can personally vouch for
>the fact my company was looking to donate money - only to be stonewalled
>by the lack of a way to do actually do so.
>
>Money has these great virtues: It can be accumulated in small increments
>from people who can't afford large increments. It can be exchanged for
>physical objects like servers. And it can be used to pay (even if only
>on a part time basis) people to do specific jobs.
>
>I highly recommend it. ;)

Can also pay for beer, or beer equivalent :-)

Personally, I am eager for CentOS 6, can wait, and would suggest that the
FAQ have a question:

"When will CentOS 6 be out?"
"The CentOS team does not have a fixed release schedule following an
upstream release. The release timeframe is based upon the number of bugs
and difficulties producing a reliable release and personal commitments of
the CentOS team. Prior experience indicates 12-14 weeks is a reasonable
expectation.
If you are interested in speeding the process you are welcome to join the
CentOS team, your offer to join is welcome. However on-boarding new
members in the middle of the work to prepare a major release is likely to
slow the release as energy is spent bringing you up to speed. To join the
team, the first step is to _[Don't know as it is beyond my skill/ energy/
expertise so I have never looked_]"

And
When will CentOS 5.6 be out?"
"The CentOS team does not have a fixed release schedule following an
upstream release. The release timeframe is based upon the number of bugs
and difficulties producing a reliable release and personal commitments of
the CentOS team. Prior experience indicates 4-8 weeks is a reasonable
expectation.
If you are interested in speeding the process you are welcome to join the
CentOS team, your offer to join is welcome. However on-boarding new
members in the middle of the work to prepare a release is likely to slow
the release as energy is spent bringing you up to speed. To join the team,
the first step is to _[Don't know as it is beyond my skill/ energy/
expertise so I have never looked_]"

In fact, I will be investigating how to update the Wiki

Dave