[CentOS] LSI MegaRAID 320-2E PCIe RAID Controller

Fri Feb 4 01:43:29 UTC 2011
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: John R Pierce Sent: February 3, 2011 17:30

> parallel scsi supports 15 max devices plus the controller makes 16.
> and often there is a SES backplane controller using a target ID
> leaving just 14 drives per channel/controller.

With 12 drive per array the IDs get chewed up fast. But I believe I
am in luck as I just recalled that one of the MegaRAID cards is a 320-4
not a 320-2 and it has four ports. That means I can get away with one
320-2 and one 320-4 and still have 6 ports while only requiring two
PCI-X slots. It looks like this is going together and for a lot less
then I was looking at the first place since I only need to purchase one
riser ($200.00) instead of three 320-2E cards (price varies from $275
to $700 each depending on the source).

Thanks to all for your responses. They were all appreciated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com