[CentOS] how do export a block device via eSATA?

Sun Feb 13 19:00:39 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 02/13/11 10:53 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Does any one know how to, if at all possible currently, to export a
> block device via eSATA? i.e. how do I do something like iSCSI, but
> over eSATA?
>
> I have a cheat ($15 probably?)  media player at home (Egreat EG-M31B
> Network Media Tank - awesome little machine) that runs some flavor of
> Debian and can be connected to any PC via eSATA as an external HDD's.
> i.e. it exports the built-in HDD as a block device to the host (My
> laptop or PC).
>
> Now, the question is, how can I do this on Linux?
> Would I need a different eSATA card than the on-board eSATA port on
> most motherboards? Or would the on-board one work?

I suspect your media tank is doing something electrical, like idling its
processor, and re-routing the sata port directly to the internal storage
device, when its in this mode.   I'm unaware of any SATA target drivers
(as opposed to the normal initiator drivers in libata etc)