[CentOS] kmod-e1000e and Intel Network Card

Wed Feb 16 16:57:09 UTC 2011
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 16.02.2011 01:27, schrieb Soporte Virtual:
> 2011/2/15 Soporte Virtual <soportev at gmail.com>:
>> Hi list
>>
>> It's my first message here, but I use CentOS from long time ago (sorry my
>> language, I'm spanish from Colombia)
>>
>> I have a Intel board with an Integrated Network Card 82578DC. I've
>> sucessfully installed the driver with the RPM kmod-e1000e; I've found it in
>> ElRepo.org, and I've installed it via Yum.
>>
>> After I've installed the package (see this:
>> http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2010-December/000416.html ), I do:
>>
>> ifdown eth1
>> modprobe -r e1000e
>> ifup eth1
>>
>> After these steps, my card works OK and get a valid IP address. However,
>> when I reboot my machine, I must write those commands again. I've tried to
>> put e1000e in /etc/modprobe.d/blachlist; however, it doesn't works.
>>
>> Does anubody knows what must I do to have my network card working from
>> start?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Hi again, list!
>
> I've solved it! I've checked in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1, and it had ONBOOT=no.
> With ONBOOT=yes issue was solved.

Glad you were able to solve your problem your own.

Just a note about how the ELrepo package works: It sets the original
kernel module (shipping with the CentOS/RHEL) kernel on a blacklist and
forces to load the own module instead. Though both modules have the same
name.

# cat /etc/depmod.d/kmod-e1000e.conf
override e1000e * weak-updates/e1000e

Just curious, any specific reason why to choose the ELrepo module over
the one coming with the CentOS kernel?

I have an RHEL 6 system with an "Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit
Network Connection" NIC, where the e1000e module of the RHEL kernel
fails to drive the hardware (no traffic possible, strange effects when
tcpduming it). With the kmod-e1000e from ELrepo the 2 onboard 82574L
NICs now work.

Alexander