[CentOS] kmod-e1000e and Intel Network Card

Wed Feb 16 17:09:21 UTC 2011
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:

> Just a note about how the ELrepo package works: It sets the original
> kernel module (shipping with the CentOS/RHEL) kernel on a blacklist and
> forces to load the own module instead. Though both modules have the same
> name.
>
> # cat /etc/depmod.d/kmod-e1000e.conf
> override e1000e * weak-updates/e1000e
>
> Just curious, any specific reason why to choose the ELrepo module over
> the one coming with the CentOS kernel?
>
> I have an RHEL 6 system with an "Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit
> Network Connection" NIC, where the e1000e module of the RHEL kernel
> fails to drive the hardware (no traffic possible, strange effects when
> tcpduming it). With the kmod-e1000e from ELrepo the 2 onboard 82574L
> NICs now work.

You may want to look through this ELRepo web site:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/Driver+Versions

As for the e1000e driver, the version offered by ELRepo is newer than
what is in the EL6 kernel. Often times, ELRepo drivers are built from
the manufacturer's source files, which would not happen with the
upstream kernels because their source is from kernel.org).

But if you'd like more info or questions regarding ELRepo's drivers,
you will need to ask on the ELRepo mailing list.

Akemi