[CentOS] CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

Wed Feb 16 18:39:27 UTC 2011
David Sommerseth <dazo at users.sourceforge.net>

On 16/02/11 18:08, Always Learning wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:52 +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>
>> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
>> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
>
> One thing you might, or happily might not, have difficulties with is the
> wifi driver.  Most drivers are available from various sources.
>
> C5 is based on kernel 2.6.18. More wifi drivers were added to kernel
> 2.6.27, I think.  C6 will be based on kernel 2.6.34, I believe.

As long as the CentOS kernel is based on the RHEL kernel works, a lot of
drivers from newer kernels will have been backported to the 2.6.18 based
kernel, which makes newer hardware work on RHEL kernels.

The RHEL 2.6.18 kernel only sounds old and expired due to its name.  But
the content inside really isn't as old as it sounds like - even though
there are a big part of original 2.6.18 code in it as well.

Check the release notes for more info ... Like for RHEL5.5
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.5_Release_Notes/ar01s04.html>

kind regards,

David Sommerseth