[CentOS] CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

Wed Feb 16 19:59:11 UTC 2011
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
>
> My main focus is therefore to have something robust, reliable and
> above all well compatible with CentOS.
> Hibernate / suspend feature are important to me, because that's the
> main issue I have with CentOS on other laptops.
>
> I have found the following information so far:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_CentOS_5_on_a_Thinkpad_T60
>
> The processor is a T2300 (so 32 bits apparently):
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27233
>
> I would be grateful if people having used CentOS on this model could
> share their experience (good or bad).

We had several of the T60s as corporate laptops. I've installed CentOS
and RHEL on them without much problem. Most everything worked fine.
The only issue I saw was battery life wasn't so great from a full
charge. It seemed to run a bit hot. After a meeting it would be at 40%
charge after about an hour.