[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Fri Feb 18 18:39:48 UTC 2011
Farkas Levente <lfarkas at lfarkas.org>

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 14:13, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 02:26 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:15:32AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> Red Hat still has not put several of the sources in their public tree
>>> either.
>>>

>> So CentOS6 cannot be released, or even built completely before
>> those missing src.rpms are released?
>
> Theoretically, it can not be built, so certainly not *released*, until
> we have all the SRPMS, no.
>
> If said SRPMS are on one of the release Source ISOs, then we have them
> available there, if they are not then we are stuck.
>

>>> CentOS releases our source on exactly the same day as our binary files.
>>>
>>> We published scripts and RPMS on how we generate our build system, on
>>> how we check our binaries, on how we generate our ISOs.  How is that not
>>> open?  (See if you can get Red Hat or Oracle to tell you what they use
>>> as a build engine for their enterprise products ...)
>>>

>> Can you send a link to the docs/scripts?
>> This is something many people have been asking for.
>
> This directory contains a script that we use to build the
> "Distribution", as well as the script we use to check a built RPM
> against a known binary RPM:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/build/distro/
>
> We use mock to build our packages.  There is a version of mock available
> in EPEL.
>
> The "minimum build roots" that CentOS uses are published here:
>
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/

Johnny I really _really_ respect your former work on centos, but it
seems you don't take part on the real rebuild nowadays (probably
that's reason why you refer to  rhel-4).
The above is nothing, and nobody can rebuild based on those scripts
and it's really far from the really required framework.
and please don't ask me to why. just to mention some very basic thing
where is the mock config files? and i can ask dozens of such questions
(what is did previously and i'm the only only one who send detail
description how to rebuild rhel-6...

--
  Levente                               "Si vis pacem para bellum!"