[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Fri Feb 18 20:44:23 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/18/2011 12:39 PM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 14:13, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>> So CentOS6 cannot be released, or even built completely before
>>> those missing src.rpms are released?
>>
>> Theoretically, it can not be built, so certainly not *released*, until
>> we have all the SRPMS, no.
>>
>> If said SRPMS are on one of the release Source ISOs, then we have them
>> available there, if they are not then we are stuck.

>>> Can you send a link to the docs/scripts?
>>> This is something many people have been asking for.
>>
>> This directory contains a script that we use to build the
>> "Distribution", as well as the script we use to check a built RPM
>> against a known binary RPM:
>>
>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/build/distro/
>>
>> We use mock to build our packages.  There is a version of mock available
>> in EPEL.
>>
>> The "minimum build roots" that CentOS uses are published here:
>>
>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/
>
> Johnny I really _really_ respect your former work on centos, but it
> seems you don't take part on the real rebuild nowadays (probably
> that's reason why you refer to  rhel-4).
> The above is nothing, and nobody can rebuild based on those scripts
> and it's really far from the really required framework.
> and please don't ask me to why. just to mention some very basic thing
> where is the mock config files? and i can ask dozens of such questions
> (what is did previously and i'm the only only one who send detail
> description how to rebuild rhel-6...

I am still on the development team and I am working on the release of
4.9 as we speak.  Thanks for your concern about my well being though.

We use mock ... we use the standard trees.  If you are rebuilding
something in extras, then extras is enabled.  If you are building
something in plus, then plus is enabled.  If you need to build something
staged (package A is built then package B gets built on it), then you
need to either run plague, koji, or develop a file that builds the
packages and moves them into a repo, then runs createrepo.  We use
plague for some packages and we use a custom script that runs mock,
copies the built files to a staged local folder and runs createrepo for
some other packages.

This is hard work ... you figure out the packages that you need to
build, you figure out if you need to build it staged or not, you figure
out what repos you need for the pacakages you are building, etc.  What,
would you like me to log into your server, install all the software
required to rebuild the distro and set it up for you?  Does Red Hat
provide that information? ... how about Oracle?  Maybe Ubuntu tells you
exactly how the build their LTS server?  Oh, I know, Novell has a step
by step guide to build SLES posted.

I gave you the script we used to build the CentOS 4 isos / distro.  The
one for CentOS 5 is very similar.  It has all the switches used to build
the distro in its entirety.  We are still building CentOS-6 ... we don't
have one yet for that.

There is no other project, certainly not an enterprise one, that
provides this much information to their users.  Fedora is the absolute
most open project I know ... do they provide the mock config files and
koji config to build their entire distro?  (They might do it, I don't
know).  None of the enterprise distros do.

Do you think Red Hat tells us what is in their build roots and gives us
mock config files or koji configurations?  Well, they don't.