[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Wed Feb 16 16:35:12 UTC 2011
robert mena <robert.mena at gmail.com>

Hi,

Since I was the one who created this topic (with different purpose) let me
suggest that  after the 5.6/6.0 release consider a 'business model' for the
CentOS.

And by business model I mean take some time to:
a) Evaluate _if_ one or more paid staff would ease some of the taks that
must be done by the core team
b) If a) is true set up a campaign to raise the money pretty much as
wikipedia does (we need X $$ to cover those costs)
c) Prepare some communication protocol for those tasks (technical etc) to
gather more people and let them informed

For me it is hard to offer to help (besides downloading and using the
packages) if I do not know what is really involved, expected to be done or
how much time would be necessary.

For example, let's say I have 1h/day or week to help and no programming
skills. What tasks could I do, and so on.

Again communication.

I have mixed feelings.  In one hand I know this is a
community-driven-no-guarantees and in the other I feel in the dark without
any sense of progress/future and I depend on CentOS for my business.

Since I like the long term support philosophy and being a Fedora/CentOS user
for a long time (i.e like the way the distro works) there is actually no
other option since RedHat ($) is too expensive.

Regards.