[CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

Fri Feb 25 02:44:32 UTC 2011
Machin, Greg <Greg.Machin at openpolytechnic.ac.nz>

I have always had issues with VMware server and compiling of kernel
modules, normally ended up costing a couple of days effort .. I have
found 2 is more resource intensive than 1. Rather use ESXi 4.1 and get
up and running quickly. If your hardware is not on the supported list
there are other lists of tested hardware where people have it running on
"Unsupported" hardware.

Player is not a solution if the Virtual machine needs to be running
24/7. It's more suited to testing and demo use.

Greg Machin
Systems Administrator - Linux
Infrastructure Group, Information Services

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Robbins
Sent: Friday, 25 February 2011 3:14 p.m.
Subject: [CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:04:08PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can someone remind me why VMware server 2.x broke with a RHEL/CentOS
5.x glibc
> update?  I switched back to 1.x which I like better anyway, but if the
reason
> for putting up with oldness is to keep that from happening, it didn't
work.

You may want to try VMware-player if you, (like almost everyone else)
preferred 1.x to 2.x.   The later versions of player are more like 1.x,
allowing you to install an operating system from ISO or whatever, and
work quite well with 64 bit CentOS.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Adam: You failed me.
Spike: Let's not quibble about who failed who.