[CentOS] ifcfg-rh: error: Unknown connection type 'Bridge'

Sun Jan 23 04:28:36 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 07:41 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> NetworkManager is utterly useless for server grade work, such as pair
>> bonding and bridges. It may be helpful for wireless management or
>> modem connections, but I find it safer to to rip it *out* on CentOS 4
>> and CentOS 5, and urge turning it off by whatever means are feasible
>> for RHEL 6 or CentOS 6 when it comes out.
>
> Turning it off on CentOS 6 and current versions of Fedora is
> accomplished by the same means it always has been:
>
> chkconfig NetworkManager off
> chkconfig network on

Unfortunately, this is not sufficiently reliable. Some idiot may
re-run it, and from some bitter experience, I don't trust the
system-config-network to behave well.  NetworkManager is awkward to
rip out of RHEL 6. (Not modular enough: too many tools that don't
actually need it have RPM dependencies on it, so it winds up
re-installed anyway.)

The key to *keeping* it off in RHEL 6, and I assume in CentOS 6, is
the setting NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. This is a new setting in
RHEL 6, and I'm having difficulty finding documentation for it, but it
seems to work in keeping NetworkManager's greedy little paws off my
stable settings.