[CentOS] ifcfg-rh: error: Unknown connection type 'Bridge'

Sun Jan 23 05:05:59 UTC 2011
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

> Unfortunately, this is not sufficiently reliable. Some idiot may
> re-run it

Re-enabling NetworkManager requires the root password.  If someone can
turn it back on with 'chkconfig' or another service management tool,
they can also re-install it.

You may feel that it is worth the effort to remove NetworkManager
entirely, but I think most people will agree that there's no need to do so.

> The key to *keeping* it off in RHEL 6, and I assume in CentOS 6, is
> the setting NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. This is a new setting in
> RHEL 6, and I'm having difficulty finding documentation for it

File a bug with the "initscripts" component.  That setting *should* be
documented in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt, but isn't.