[CentOS] how to unmount an NFS share when the NFS server is unavailable?

Thu Jan 27 13:30:10 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/11 12:57 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, since the original question involved access to backups, I
>>> should have given my usual answer which is that backuppc is the thing to
>>> use for backups and it provides a web interface for restores (you pick
>>> the historical version you want and either tell it to put it back to the
>>> original host or you can download a tarball through the browser). Very
>>> nice for self-serve access.  It does want to map complete hosts to
>>> owners that have permission to access them but with a little work you
>>> make different areas of a shared system look like separate hosts.
>>>

>> BackupPC doesn't intergrate into cPanel.
>
> Why does it have to integrate? It runs on a different machine. Can't you make a
> remote apache authenticate the same way as a cpanel user would to access its web
> interface?
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell

Sorry, I should have explained. cPanel is a web based control panel
which allows end users to control every aspect of their domain (Web,
stats, mail, files, databases, logs, DNS, etc) including backups.

It currently backs up everything over FTP, and works fairly well but
when a user wants to restore a broken website one of our techs needs
to download the backup from the FTP server, to the cPanel server and
then restore it on the client's behalf.

Thus, mounting the NFS share basically added enough storage to the
cPanel todo the backups "locally", and then the users can restore the
backups themselves by logging into cPanel. i.e. all the necessary
security checks are performed automatically.

But, If we use something like backupPC, then each user will need to be
created on the BackupPC server (which will be a nightmare) and he then
has to download the backup to his own PC first (some sites are several
GB's, into the 10's of GB's), which then means the backup will take
ages to restore.

With cPanel, everything happens on the server directly so it's very quick.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com