[CentOS] how to unmount an NFS share when the NFS server is unavailable?

Thu Jan 27 14:55:20 UTC 2011

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> It currently backs up everything over FTP, and works fairly well but
> when a user wants to restore a broken website one of our techs needs
> to download the backup from the FTP server, to the cPanel server and
> then restore it on the client's behalf.
>
> Thus, mounting the NFS share basically added enough storage to the
> cPanel todo the backups "locally", and then the users can restore the
> backups themselves by logging into cPanel. i.e. all the necessary
> security checks are performed automatically.
<snip>
Well, I wouldn't be running ftp, anyway, but may I offer an alternative?
How 'bout either rsync or scp; have the users' backups in their own
directories, and set up ssh keys, and then give them a canned script to
run, so that
   a) they say, AUGH! Website bad! Gotta restore!
   b) they go to cPanel, to the, what's it called, system maintenance? page,
        then are offered an icon that brings of a page that allows them to
        select one or more directories, or the whole site,
   c) clicking a <restore> button rcyncs or  sftp's it over, from the backup
         directory that's owned by them to their site, with no passwords
needed?

        mark "ftp bad, *so* 1980's/early '90s, when the 'Net was a better
               place"