[CentOS] latest kernel - version question

Sun Jan 9 15:31:32 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hi List,
> just doing my weekly yum update and noticed that the kernel is
> designated .i686 but the headers package is .i386??
> surely the headers should match the kernel geometry that it was compiled
> for?
> confused.

The headers package contains no compiled code -- it only contains
source code (.h files).  As such it is processor netural.  It really
could be '.noarch', but the version of rpmbuild shipped with CentOS 5.5
does not allow the creation of .noarch sub-packages packages.

The kernel itself is optimized for the i686 processor.  It is possible
to custom build a kernel for the i586, i486, or i386 if you really have
a processor that old.