[CentOS] latest kernel - version question

Sun Jan 9 19:09:07 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> Hi List,
>> just doing my weekly yum update and noticed that the kernel is
>> designated .i686 but the headers package is .i386??
>> surely the headers should match the kernel geometry that it was compiled
>> for?
>> confused.
>
> The headers package contains no compiled code -- it only contains
> source code (.h files).  As such it is processor netural.  It really
> could be '.noarch', but the version of rpmbuild shipped with CentOS 5.5
> does not allow the creation of .noarch sub-packages packages.

This will work in RHEL 6/CentOS 6. The cutesiness needed to provide
such packages in .noarch for more recent releases, and .%{arch} for
older releases, is already in a lot of the upstream RHEL and EPEL
packages.

> The kernel itself is optimized for the i686 processor.  It is possible
> to custom build a kernel for the i586, i486, or i386 if you really have
> a processor that old.

And highly, highly recommended to use a kernel optimized for i686 if
that's your real architecture: there's a big performance difference.