[CentOS] how to recreate eth0 - Realtek 8169sc

Mon Jan 10 10:08:24 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> I love realtek - the resources they use tend not to conflict with other
> cards or hardware, they don't use much cpu time, the drivers are mature, and
> they don't cost much. What could be better? There does seem to be at least
> one onboard realtek chipset that can have driver issues, but I use the 8169
> without problems.
>
> But hardware does fail. And any brand of nic can fail in odd ways. I'm
> guessing you've swapped it out?

Yes, the NIC might have failed, but how do I tell? lspci still shows
it as active.

> Bios settings can change if the on-board battery is dead and the system
> loses power. (It can set to defaults) But bios settings rarely affect nics -
> you're more likely to see boot problems from a change in drive boot
> sequence.

I already checked, BIOS settings didn't change :)

> I don't suppose you have a vpn on your lan? I noticed you use the
> 192.168.1.x address range, which is one of the most common ranges in the
> world. If someone connects to your vpn from home or workplace, and if they
> use the same range,  and if theres a bridge, addresses are going to
> conflict.

This is purely cause the ADSL router in the office is on the
192.168.1.0 subnet, so it's less hassle when it needs to be swapped
out to get it back up again. No VPN.

> If you delete your ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1 files, centos will recreate them
> if it sees the nics at boot. But it tends to enable eth0 and disable eth1 or
> higher. You should have backups of your originals for that reason...

I've already tried that, but eth0 doesn't automatically get detected.

> I bet you wish you had a tcp/ip based kvm switch system about now...

Yes, I supposed I could take one from a client server, or open a
sealed one, but it's not really necessary. For now I put in another
D-Link and got the server up that way, but would prefer to use the
onboard one since I had to take everything out of the 1U chassis,
which doesn't support more than 1 additional NIC.

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com