[CentOS] how to recreate eth0 - Realtek 8169sc

Mon Jan 10 13:30:15 UTC 2011
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

> Thank you for the discrimination, but it's not appreciated. This is
> not a multi-million dollar enterprise cluster, so please don't see it
> as such. It's an in-house development server and really doesn't
> justify thousands of dollars' worth of hardware. The NIC was working
> fine for about 2 years now without a hiccup, out of the box when we
> first installed CentOS. Something went wrong, I just don't know how to
> actually fix it without re-installing CentOS :)

I would boot the server from a LiveCD or two and test network
connectivity.  If it works from any one of these LiveCDs than the network
card works and it could be a configuration issue in your installed CentOS.
If it doesn't work on any of these LiveCDs that are all using different
drivers, then it might be the card.  Also .. since this should be easy to
do, switch network cables (in place, keeping their existing switch ports)
with another system that is running fine.  If the other system starts
exhibiting strange issues and this system magically starts working fine,
it could be a cable or switch configuration issue.  Although most people
don't have these sitting around, you could connect a USB nic to the
machine and see if the problem occurs with the installed CentOS but using
a different NIC without cracking the case.

Hope this helps,
Barry