[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Thu Jan 20 04:16:53 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/2011 9:13 AM, John Hodrien wrote:

>> I do think CentOS gets unreasonably knocked as a desktop OS.  I definitely
>> don't use it on desktops *because* I run it on servers.
>>

> The difference is that open source server software has been 'feature
> complete' for ages and the standards processes that change client/server
> interactions are very, very slow - so outdated versions of server
> software is not a problem as long as bug/security fixes are made.

Oh, my. Les, I'm going to beg to differ. Bind for DNSsec changes,
Subversion for lots of performance and some security updates, OpenSSH
for GSSAPI support, Perl for module dependencies for Bugzilla and
Musicbrainz, and Emacs for git-emacs macro compatibility, all have
lagged well behind in CentOS/RHEL 5 for years. Bug/security fixes do
not address these, because they are typically for non-supported
features.

Iv'e had to deal with backporting or upgrading all of these, on
servers, and it gets pretty painful if you want recent versions of
these components.