[CentOS] kernel update

Tue Jan 25 00:20:16 UTC 2011
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM, mahmoud mansy <jecko617 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey guys,
> i wanna update the kernel of thw centos 5.5,to the 2.6.32 version!
> is there any compatablity issues with stuff like glibc or otheres!

Someone suggested Fedora on the hardware and CentOS in a VM.. That
works best if you're doing the RHCE..

However, you can also upgrade the kernel and yes, a few things don't
always work quite right.  Most notably, if I build the stock kernel I
usually have to go back and tweak filesystem settings, sometimes some
/dev entries don't appear, etc.. Nothing catastrophic, but takes a
couple builds to get right.   The other option is to grab the
prepackaged kernels from some of the devs.  They do a great job of
packaging the latest, but then you miss out on all that fun of
watching your drive LEDs blinking like crazy.

BTW, you can download the RHEL6 trial..